Why Are You Here?

Recognize This: People want to be part of something meaningful – something larger than themselves.

Have you ever used one of those “you are here” maps, like they have in a mall or city centre?

Generally, these are helpful, but I’ll never forget the time I was in a rush to find a particular store. I located the map, quickly found the store I wanted, but then realized there was no “you are here” reference.

I knew where I wanted to go, but because I didn’t know where I was in relation to that, I didn’t know how to get there.

I think the same is true in the workplace. Many companies invest a good deal of time and resources communicating to employees where they need to be going, but spend little to no time on where they are.

Why do they (why do you) come to work every day? I hope it’s more than just a paycheck. What’s the greater purpose you’re contributing to? Gautam Ghosh puts it this way:

“Personally I think every human being wants to be part of something larger than himself or herself. An organization should look at goals that excite even the most world weary cynic and say ‘I am part of something meaningful. Something larger. Something beautiful.’”

Why are you here? What are you part of?

2 comment(s):

At January 05, 2011 2:06 PM, HRMexplorer said...

I am here to make a difference, make the business a success, help people to be a success and its all about developing inner confidence. Its not the mushy its the hard stuff. Do not let anyone say anything different.- cheers.

At January 05, 2011 2:10 PM, Derek Irvine said...

Perhaps I'm reading you wrong, HRMexplorer, but I'd argue most people classify "helping others to be a success" as "mushy stuff" when, in fact, that's really the hard stuff -- the stuff that drives business success.