Trust * A Powerful (and Fun) Form of Recognition

In a recent post, I wrote about six different types of recognition – effort, skills and talents, the need for focus and direction, personal needs, the need to grow and develop, and the need to let of steam.

I asked blog readers to let me know if I’d left any recognition types off the list. Cindy Ventrice replied:
“I would add one more: recognize trustworthiness. Give people freedom and flexibility in how they accomplish goals. Trust that they will produce results. This speaks volumes to employees.”

I couldn’t agree more. Employees who are not micromanaged but trusted to get the job done usually will. And, more often than not, employees who are trusted will come up with innovative, creative (and perhaps more cost-effective) solutions than if an approach had been dictated to them.

Look at this example from Southwest Airlines, a company I’ve highlighted before for their highly successful approach in putting employees first so they will then care for the customers in a way that has made them so successful, they are the only U.S. airline to never conduct a layoff.



Obviously, this flight attendant has the trust of his superiors to communicate the flight safety instructions to his passengers. Because he has this trust, the attendant delivered the instructions in a way that had far more people listening and actively paying attention than I’ve seen on any flight I’ve been on in recent years.

What’s the level of trust in your organization? Join the conversation in comments.

0 comment(s):